May 18, 2009

parties and plane tickets

A lot has been happening over the past few weeks, including but not limited to a pretty cupcake party, an exciting opportunity, and plane tickets. Add that to my actual full-time day job at Drury and I'm still recuperating. You know you've worked hard when all you can do is lay on the couch and watch bad reality television on a Saturday night.

Let's start with the pretty cupcake party. Sharon Taylor of Sharon Taylor Designs had the idea to host a cupcake and champagne party to promote our businesses. Sharon is a very talented interior designer/event planner/creative genius. One other interesting thing about Sharon is that she has all these sisters who are equally creative in their own ways, and they all live in the same neighborhood in Springfield. I think that's really great. I would also like to add that the Arnold sisters have the most adorable names for their children: Goldie, Birdie, Sylvia, Eleanor...there are lots more that have escaped me, but you get the idea.

Anyway, my main job for the party was to make cupcakes. Sharon's main job was to decorate the courtyard of Tea Bar & Bites (thank you Mom!) as she would for a fancy bridal shower or dinner party. Sharon's sister Lizzie designed some cute invitations, which we sent to friends and family. On a beautiful sunny Saturday, this happened:




A good number of people came and it was really nice. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my hands on one of the beautiful chandeliers that Sharon hung up for the party.

The same week I got a phone call from 417 Magazine; specifically from their Bride editors. They wanted to know if I would be interested in making a wedding cake for their upcoming bridal issue. I told them that while wedding cakes aren't really my thing, I would be happy to make some cupcakes. They liked that idea; cupcakes are becoming trendy for weddings and I also told them they could eat the leftovers. I think the issue comes out in June or July, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything looks good.

One other exciting thing that happened last week: Jason and I booked plane tickets for a fall trip to San Francisco! My older brother, Josh, moved out there some five years ago for art school and never came back (I mean, can you blame him?), so of course I have to visit at least once a year. I can't wait to see Josh and his lovely wife, Vanessa, and do all those wonderful California things that we do when we're there, like drinking coffee at Blue Bottle and maybe(!) taking a road trip to Mendocino. October can't come soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. To be RE-inspired by cupcakes at this stage of life is a major, major event. All it took was two of your vanilla bean icing cupcakes and one chocolate cupcake and I am now hooked. Those are the best cupcakes I've ever had in my life. And I thought I was THROUGH with cupcakes. Thanks, Meagan.

    ReplyDelete